Monday, December 19, 2005

Future Grace

by John Piper...this is definitely on my Christmas list! Can't wait to read this one. Listening, guys? :)

Here's a review by Pastor John Samson at Reformation Theology. Please go there and read the entire review...it is excellent...a sermon in itself. Here's an excerpt:

Grace is stripped of its meaning when it is merely thought of as a "good business decision" on God's part. I am refering here to the mistaken idea that God saw our "worth" and decided that the high price was indeed right, and that He would pay the necessary expense to bring us safely to heaven. No, a thousand times, no! That's not grace at all. That's just a good business deal!

Grace is seen in this - while we were wretches; while we were sinners, shaking our fists at God, hating God, defying God in thought, word and deed - every single one of us; God did something ridiculous - paying an outlandish and scandalous price to redeem us (the blood of His beloved Son). This was not because He calculated it all out and thought it was a good investment on His part; that we were "worth it." No, God was motivated by His radical, amazing, abundant and all conquering love alone, as He set about saving a people for Himself. There was nothing of intrinsic worth in the creatures He redeemed. Any worth we had was entirely borrowed from the God who made us in His image.


I find this especially pertinent at Christmas. It's not some sweet, heartwarming story...it's cold and brutal and heart-breaking. The infinite and eternal and completely holy God became that helpless babe, born to die...for me...not because I was "worth" it, or because I "deserved" it, but only because of His amazing love, and for His own glory.

Fall on your knees...O hear the angel voices...O night divine....O night when Christ was born...
What other response can I give? Lord, keep me on my knees, keep me aware of this incomprehensible truth.
Take my life and let it be...all for Your glory.

No comments: