Saturday, November 26, 2005

Contentment

I am reading a priceless book called The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment. It is written by an old Puritan writer, Jeremiah Burroughs, who lived from 1599-1646. I just love the Puritans. They were so insightful and on the mark, and their writings are so relevant for Christians today. Although my version has very small print for my aging eyes, it is worth the strain!

In his opening pages, he describes contentment and then goes on to show his readers their great need of this virtue. He goes to great pains to point out that contentment is an inward virtue, and is only really present when we are not only able to "hold our tongues, but also to have a quiet soul." Ouch! I still have trouble with the first part, and am nowhere near the second.

"Contentment is an inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit...It is a grace that spreads itself through the whole soul."

He talks of how we must first be "satisfied in our judgment and understanding"...in other words, we see God's hand in all of our circumstances, and acknowledge His providence in our lives. We say to ourselves, "This is the hand of God...it is best for me, even though I don't see the reason, yet I am satisfied in my judgement.

But even when we understand God's providence and sovereignty in all of our circumstances,
"...you may still have much to do with your heart afterwards. There is such unruliness in our thoughts and affections that our judgements are not always able to rule our thoughts and affections."

This is ME he is talking about. How can someone who lived so long ago know my heart so well??

No comments: